KitchenLab

My Recipes. My Kitchen. My Blog.

My Photo
Name:

Physician by profession, artist by vocation.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Sauce Mariosep

While we're on the subject of pasta sauces, let me share another concoction inspired by the crabfat pasta dish served at Gaita Fores' Cibo. Cibo has mainly Italian cuisine, but some dishes like this one should actually be categorized under east-west fusion. Or Filipino dishes in disguise. Whatever. I will eternally be grateful to Gaita though for the roast duck with grapes and truffles she serves at Pepato. Gastronomic heaven.

But before we ramble off the topic, here's the dish (fusion also) that I've taken the liberty of calling Pasta in Sauce Mariosep, primarily because the concept of eating pasta smothered in crabfat while I'm on a diet right now, despite its delicious flavor, is just plain yikes.

Cook the pasta (your choice, but I suggest plain spaghetti or angelhair pasta) as directed, and drain in a colander. Using the same pasta pot, put in a little cooking oil (I like extra virgin olive oil for this one) and brown a couple of cloves worth of minced garlic with the heat set to low. You don't want to burn the garlic. Add in some ground pork seasoned with salt and pepper and brown. Add just enough crabfat (or taba ng talangka, which you can buy at your local grocery bottled and ready to go) so that the pasta can be coated evenly, then put in a couple of tablespoons of all-purpose cream and allow to simmer a bit. At this point, you can add a bit of shredded wombok pechay for texture and color, and mix with the sauce for a few more seconds before adding the pasta and mixing everything up.

I know that all bottled crabfat brands are not created equal, so you'll just have to adjust the flavor by seasoning with salt and pepper and tasting it before you mix it with the pasta. I use Marisco Pure Taba ng Talangka--tasty and cheap.

Oh, and as a side note, I took a capsule of Xenical with this particular meal as a precaution, and was surprised to discover that my, um, poo wasn't swimming in oil! Does that mean that this dish is actually safe to eat while on a diet? Hmm... What a naughty thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home