KitchenLab

My Recipes. My Kitchen. My Blog.

My Photo
Name:

Physician by profession, artist by vocation.

Friday, May 26, 2006

Pisto

I have this nasty habit of creating a dish I really like, and then forgetting the recipe because I didn't write it down. So putting the recipes down on this blog is also one way of making sure I don't forget them. But this one is not easy to forget.

I'm not a fan of store-bought pesto sauce for my pasta, so I like making my own. The twist is that instead of using pine nuts (which I don't think is available at the local grocery), I use pistachio nuts; thus, pisto and not pesto.

Here's how I do it. As pisto-making is not an exact science (nor is my cooking), you'll just have to play it by ear and estimate the quantities needed. Put the pistachio nuts (without the shells, of course) in a food processor and grind to tiny bits. Add about a clove of garlic and a handful of basil leaves (thoroughly washed and allowed to dry a bit), then process again. Add some extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook the pasta (your choice, but I prefer linguini) and drain in a colander. Using the same pasta pot, put enough pisto for the pasta (tongue twister there) and heat for a few seconds without allowing it to burn. Put the pasta back in the pot and stir the sauce through. Serve with grated parmesan cheese on top and garlic bread on the side.

Yum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home